Green Card Through Marriage But Divorcing

So, you married your sweetheart but the marriage did not work out.  What can you do?  Can you still get your green card?

The answer is  . . . it depends.

If your spouse has been abusive toward you, you can continue the process on your own and without your spouse being involved in the process.   This abuse can take many forms, including physical, mental and emotional.

How do you prove that?  Do you have to have a police report, etc….?

The answer  is no.  Police reports are useful but not required.  This abusive behavior can be proven through many other ways.  In some case that our office has filed, we did not have any dispositive documentary evidence but we were able to show that the applicant did in fact suffer abuse (even solely mental and emotional) through reliable detailed sworn statements.

Also, remember that this application is confidential and the information is not disclosed to your spouse.

However, you must act fast!!!!  Time is not on your side.  So, if the marriage is failing due to the abusive behavior of  your spouse, then act quickly and speak with an attorney as soon as possible.  Do not let the opportunity pass you.